- 754 popolazione
- 224 m s.l.m altitudine
- 14,9 kmq estensione
- 72% Umidità
- 2.1km/s Vento
Bordano is a small village nearby Gemona, become famous for the presence of many and colorful butterfly specimens.
The handicraft processing of the wood still has a rilevant reputation.
The municipal district is located in a small open valley between the mountains Brancot (also called by locals Monte di Ruvinto, Monte Tricorno – not to be confused with Mount Triglav in Slovenia – or Monte di Palantarins) (1,015 mt a.s.l.) and San Simeon (1505 mt a.s.l.). In addition the main town has the village of Interneppo (Tarnép) that overlooks the Lake of Cavazzo (also known as Lago dei Tre Comuni), it is just over 2 km and a half from Bordano, is located 245 m above sea level and in it has about 172 residents. In the southeast of the village of Bordano are located two small artificial lakes, more commonly called “ponds” by citizens, realized in relation to a project which should have ended with the creation of a small natural reserve and which is currently only partially done. Precisely, they are situated in the middle of a wooded area adjacent to the “Plans” (a continuation of the valley to the south-west of Bordano) and formally englobed in the locality of “Mulinat” which includes a wooded strip on the border between the town of Bordano and Trasaghis.
Historically, it seems that the town was built on the site of an ancient Roman ford that allowed to cross the Tagliamento along the Via Julia Augusta; the village of Interneppo instead should have even more ancient origin. The name Bordanum is mentioned for the first time in a code of the Church of Grado around the year 1000 and could derive by the name of an official or Roman general transited in the area (Bordanus or Bordanum) or from a Germanic language where there is the prefix “bord” that meant wood plank, so it’s possible consider that in Bordano homes where built with wooden planks derived from forests around the area.
During the Middle Ages the territory of Bordano was under the jurisdiction of various lords, including the Colloredo Mels. In 1506 it was under the jurisdiction of the Community of Venzone becoming later, with the Napoleonic domination, the autonomous community with Bordano as chief town and Interneppo as possession.
World War II marked rather more deeply the town. In fact, in July 1944, Bordano suffered an almost complete destruction by Nazi-Fascist revenge, as well as the displacement of the residents to make space for Cossack people who invaded this area after the promise made by Hitler that they would have as their own territory in the High Friuli. However the historical fact that has most struck the country in the modern era has certainly been the disastrous earthquake of 1976 in the Mount San Simeon. Bordano and Interneppo were completely destroyed, and lost their artistic buildings. After this Bordano has been able to get over the loss and was able to rebuild its identity by taking advantage of butterflies that live thousands in the municipality, making them its own symbol and making famous abroad as the country of butterflies.
The municipality hosts the Butterfly House, a museum that welcomes in its greenhouses more than 400 species of butterflies, vacated in structures that reproduce their habitats.
The town also offers the possibility to walk along an entomology-path in search of butterflies, at the foot of Mount San Simeon.
Another peculiarity is the presence of numerous wall murals representing the insects, symbol of the town and that enrich, making unique the houses of Bordano.
The possibility of excursions allows you to discover the adjacent mountains such as Mount Festa, accessible by footpath pass of Interneppo (Bordano). From the top of the Festa you can admire the entire valley of Tagliamento and the presence of ruins of military barracks and small forts, built around 1910 and used during the WWI in defense of the area, offers the possibility of revising the scenarios of the Great War.
Some details about Sportland
After the earthquake of 1976, when opened the Castle Savorgnan?