- 10440 popolazione
- 323 m altitudine
- 64,62 kmq estensione
- 57% Umidità
- 2.1km/s Vento
Tolmezzo, called the “City of Carnia“, is located along the Tagliamento, on the crossroads between the road which leads to Cadore and the one that brings to Austria and looks gently stretched in the valley dominated by the dolomitic pyramid called Amariana that gets red at dusk .
It is certainly the main town of Carnia, located at the confluence of the river But in the Tagliamento.
The first historical references of Tolmezzo are dated back to the end of 1000; Tulmentium name appears in a document and is included among the feuds of the Patriarchate of Aquileia. Most probably, however, the town is older. It is thought to have originated from a small village dating back to pre-Roman times.
Still in the patriarchal period the city was equipped with a marketplace (in 1200) that contributed to the population growth improving their living conditions and was granted the status of land which included a certain administrative autonomy.
Later then allied with the Venetian dominion finally becoming Italian city in 1866. During the XVIII century it became an industrial center due to the entrepreneur Jacopo Linussio, famous overseas for its weaving business.
Consistent glimpses of the ancient walls could be found in Borgàt, ie the old town, with palaces and porticos. From here you can reach with a half-hour walk the recently restructured Picotta Tower, the last bastion, along with Porta di Sotto, of the fortified medieval Tolmezzo.
Various industries, such as paper-mills (Cartiere Burgo), food, mechanical, textile, footwear and of sporting equipment can be found around the town. It is the reference point for all Carnic villages with its hospital (the only one in Carnia) and is the only center with high schools.
Some monuments of interest are the eighteenth-century Cathedral of Saint Martin and the Carnic Museum of Arts and Popular Traditions, on the basis of the rich heritage of ethnographic evidences collected by Michele Gortani.
Few traces remain of the ancient castle of the mountain town, are now identified with Picotta Tower and Porta di Sotto.
On the plateau of Curiedi, just above the hamlet of Fusea, are practiced orienteering competitions.
Some details about Sportland
In the Natural Reserve of Lake Cornino you can admire splendid examples of which prey?